Political Yard Signs

Section 6.8 of the River Run By-laws prohibits the display of any type of sign in a homeowner’s yard (with the exception of for sale signs). However, Washington State RCW 64.38.034 has overruled any governing document restriction with regards to political signs. Governing documents may include restrictions regarding the number and size of political signs and how long they are displayed.

The Board agrees with Washington State Law. We also feel that this has not been an issue; it just needs some clarification to homeowners:

We request that homeowners follow reasonable standards in placement, size, quantity and duration when displaying political signs. The accepted practice is to display signs no more than 30 days prior to an election and taking them down promptly after election day.

Animal Issues

SCRAPS handles animal complaints, pet lost and found, pet licensing, etc. This is their website.

There is also a link to an online complaint form available on this site. SCRAPS telephone number is: 509-477-2532.

The CC&Rs allow off-leash, well-behaved dogs under voice control on the River Run trails, but the sidewalks are still under City of Spokane jurisdiction (leashes required). Please keep assertive/ aggressive dogs on leash at all times.

The CC&Rs specifically prohibit annoying or nuisance issues on anyone’s property. This includes excessive dog barking. Please be a conscientious dog owner/neighbor and be mindful of your dog’s barking.

In addition, there is a CC&R limit of no more than two usual and ordinary household pets.

Doggy Pots—We have contracted that the dog waste containers be emptied more frequently this winter.

Street Lights

Our street lights are serviced by Avista. If you see one that is burnt out, please call 800-227-9187 right away and provide the location of the light.


The River Run CC&R’s allow trailers, boats and RVs in the street or in your driveway for up to 48 hours. However, new rules just enacted by the City of Spokane allow only 24 hours. (The “intent” is loading and unloading.) Cars are now 72 hours. (Spokesman-Review, June 25, 2019.)

More trailers/boats are around in the summer months.  Please do not abuse this and be communicative with your neighbors.

CC&R Summary

  • The Homeowner’s Association is managed by an elected, volunteer Board.
  • Property owners are assessed annual dues set by the Board to pay for maintenance and other administrative expenses.
  • There are specific guidelines that pertain to additional structures and maintenance of all properties in River Run. Any architectural questions/approval should be directed to the Architectural Control Committee.
  • A home office is permitted, but no commercial business that brings customers to the property is allowed.
  • Renting your home is not prohibited, but please make sure your tenants are aware of and follow all pertinent CC&R’s.

The full text of the summary and complete texts of all governing documents are available on the River Run website. Homeowners should be familiar and comply with all governing documents.

Crime and Safety

We do not have a significant crime issue in River Run, but the most common issue is theft from cars left in a driveway or on the street. This would be less of a problem if the cars are locked and all items of value removed or kept out of sight. (Or, keep the cars in your garage…)

There is a website available to residents called Next Door. You can choose River Run to report or monitor any neighborhood activity.

Fort George Wright Drive Construction

The HOA Board has received several inquiries about the status and plans for construction of undeveloped areas along Fort George Wright Drive above the upper trail. This property is not owned by the HOA, and the HOA will share additional information as it becomes publicly available.

How to File a Complaint in the Neighborhood

First: Address the issue with your neighbor—in a neighborly way, of course! If you can’t negotiate a resolution, then:

Second—Email all relevant information to Dale Colen: facts, reference to specific CC&R violated, and documentation of direct conversations with the neighbor.

Third—The Board will follow up and proceed in accordance with the Third Supplemental Declaration of the CC&Rs.

This is how the City of Spokane will respond to snow and what it expects of residents

The City of Spokane’s official snow season has begun and with it comes a plan for how to deal with the winter months.

The city has 105 employees on its snowplow teams. Many of them have gone through several years of training to learn how to work all the equipment.

“Our teams have been tuning up equipment, ordering up supplies or deicer and sand and practicing right here behind us on the snowplow obstacle course,” said Spokane Mayor David Condon last month.

The city outlined key components of the plan, which includes obligations that the city will uphold and what is expected of residents


The city promises that when it snows, even if it is only one or two inches, that crews will plow all streets, including residential. Crews will complete the plow work primarily during regular day shifts on Monday through Friday to hold down costs.

Utility crews will also help the Street Department with efforts sooner and more equipment will be available on a regular basis for plowing.

During a larger snowfall of four inches or more, the city will “up” the effort and bring in more crews and equipment. Those crews will be on the street around the clock until plowing is finished, with a goal of completing the work in three days.

Crew members will work 12-hour shifts during large snow events.

Driveway Berms and Sidewalks

City spokesperson Marlene Feist says the Street Department has outfitted 16 pieces of equipment with gates that allow plow drivers to avoid placing snow across driveways or alley access points.

The gates are aimed at reducing driveway berms in residential areas, but Feist said they are still a possibility, especially on frequently plowed arterials.

Crews will also plow away from the curb to help keep snow away from driveways and sidewalks, and snow may also be pushed into the center median in some cases, Feist said.

Property owners are responsible for clearing the sidewalks adjacent to their properties. The city asks that they clear a 36-inch path to allow school children, people with disabilities, bus riders and other pedestrians to move safely in the community. The goal is to complete this work by 9 a.m. after a snowfall.

Those who cannot clear their snow, such as seniors or those with disabilities, can call 311 to connect with volunteer services that could help.


The city also has certain expectations of residents when it snows, particularly when it comes to parking.

Residents are asked to park on the odd side of the street in residential areas until March 15 in order to make it easier for plow drivers to do their work.

On-street parking downtown will be prohibited between midnight and 6 a.m. on snowy days so parking bays can be plowed. Vehicles parked during prohibited times are subject to towing.

Signs indicate the rule, which encompasses the boundaries of Maple to Division Streets and I-90 to the Spokane River. Parking options for snow days are available under the freeway and in off-street surface parking lots.

Recreational vehicles, boats and trailers must be moved off the street to winter storage locations or be subject to towing, Feist added.

Another important winter driving note: when driving near plows, pass on the left. The driver might not see you if you’re driving on the plow’s right.

CAPITAL PROJECTS NOTIFICATION:   (UPDATE!!) Traffic Lights Ft. George Wright Drive

After further review of the previous plan, due to safety concerns, the scheduled installation of the STA installed traffic light poles at the intersection of Elliott and W. Fort George Wright Drives has been modified.  The revised schedule dates have changed and access from South Elliott onto W. Fort George Wright Drive will restricted from November 13th through November 16th.

Background:  The new scheduled traffic pole installation dates minimizes the amount of days to complete the project from 8 to 4 days.  This effort requires a complete shutdown to SFCC access of the South end of Elliott accessing W. Fort George Wright Drive.

WHAT:                  Installation of light poles to complete current SFCC STA Project (access restriction of South Elliot on to W. Fort George Wright Drive)

WHEN:                  Starting  November 13th and ending November 16th.

WHERE:                Intersection of Elliott and W. Fort George Wright Drives

WHY:                     To move toward completion of current SFCC STA Project and provide safe access from SFCC to W. Fort George Wright Drive.